WHAT IS THE SPORTS PREMIUM?
The Government is providing funding directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children, the funding is ring-fenced and can only be spent on sport and PE provision in the schools.
PURPOSE OF FUNDING
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
POSSIBLE USES FOR THE FUNDING INCLUDE:
- provide staff with professional development, mentoring, training and resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively and embed physical activity across your school
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers to enhance or extend current opportunities
- introduce new sports, dance or other activities to encourage more pupils to take up sport and physical activities
- support and involve the least active children by providing targeted activities, and running or extending school sports and holiday clubs
- enter or run more sport competitions
- partner with other schools to run sports activities and clubs
- increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- encourage pupils to take on leadership or volunteer roles that support sport and physical activity within the school
- Raise attainment in primary school swimming to meet requirements of the national curriculum before the end of key stage 2
- embed physical activity into the school day through active travel to and from school, active playgrounds and active teaching.
HOW WILL WE BE SPENDING THE FUNDING in 2019-20 AND WHO WILL BENEFIT?
The staff, children and governors at Invicta Primary School all agree that the money must be used so that:
- All children benefit regardless of sporting ability,
- Children are given the opportunity to compete in local and regional tournaments,
- Staff have access to resources and training opportunities, plus continued professional development to improve the quality of teaching and learning in physical education,
- We explore the ways to ensure that swimming is developed so that children are water safe as a minimum standard,
- Children are exposed to a range of traditional and non-traditional sports and health enhancing activities through the curriculum, clubs and school visits.
For more information on our PE,Sport & Health Action Plan 2019/2020, please click HERE